Friday, 19 June 2009

Excel: Keep Headings in View Whilst Scrolling

A question I've been asked a few times is how to keep headings in view when you scroll down or across a large spreadsheet.

Here I've got a spreadsheet that records the number of views my photos get daily at my Flickr account. Every day I look at the stats on my account and in the spreadsheet I enter the number of views per day and the number of photographs I have stored there. From these two pieces of information the spreadsheet can work out the total number of views by adding the total from the previous day to the daily number of views and the average views per photo by dividing the total views by the number of photos.

However over the course of a year or two there are so many entries (days) that the column headings would normally disappear off the top of the screen when you scroll down.

To stop this happening I've used the Freeze Panes function of Excel to stop the top two rows from scrolling. Those two rows contain the headings and remain on screen whilst the rest of the rows scroll.

To start, select the cell underneath and to the right of the rows and columns you want to keep in view. In my example I only want to freeze the top two rows, not any columns at the left, so the cell I've selected is A3.

Then I select the View tab from the menus at the top.

Finally I select one of the options from the Freeze Panes icon.

Note that once you have frozen some headings, the options change to include an Unfreeze option.

Now I can scroll down as far as I need to and can still see the column headings.

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

thanks for making it so simple!! unlike other posts this took me 2 seconds ... and felt like an idiot after it took 2 seconds lol

thanks

Anonymous said...

Many thanks, forgot how to save the headings and unlike other "help" which takes an age to read, your help fixed it in a few seconds.

Anonymous said...

Too cool and so easy....when you know how. Thanks!

Shirley said...

Thank you so much...i had forgotten how to have the heading visible....

Anonymous said...

thank you!

Anonymous said...

thank alot!!! helpedd so much!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks mate!

Anonymous said...

Easy to follow and really fast! Thanks so much!!!!

Yodds said...

You are the best. This gave me a promotion at work. Unbelievable!

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot. It really helped me. I was trying it for a week.

Anonymous said...

Brilliant - Thanks dude.

Iqbal Hossain said...

Excellent. I have good thinking for learning and application

mahasiswa teladan said...

hi..Im student from Informatics engineering, this article is very informative, thanks for sharing :)

Sharma said...

Thanks a lot...........

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. Simple when you know how!!

Anonymous said...

so simple! thank you for helping me save time at work!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much - I have been looking for ages how to do this. You made it so simple - took me less than a minute to do it!

Mohamed Hussain said...

Thank you so much.....

Anonymous said...

Awesome, thanks. I had the reverse issue and needed to UN-Freeze the panes.

Nic said...

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much! Easy to understand and then easy to do! Very helpful!!!

Tushar.Suradkar said...

Thank you so much. You have explained it so neatly. I have bookmarked your blog.

Anonymous said...

Amazing!!! Thanks!!! So easy!!!!

Fysal Tk said...

Many thanks

Nshuti said...

You made it so simple!Thank you

Anonymous said...

Thank you, very helpful!